Thursday, January 15, 2009

Psalm 119:41-42

Let your steadfast love come to me, O Lord,
your salvation according to your promise;
then shall I have an answer for him who taunts me,
for I trust in your word.
It is interesting that the Psalmist does not say "I trust in your word, therefore I have an answer for him who taunts me." Trust is necessary, but it alone is not enough; he needs to know God's steadfast love and faithfulness. Trust answers the negative side of our faith; when I trust God, I am not afraid that he will do anything wrong or allow me to be hurt. However trust does not motivate me to positive action; it does not drive me to speak out to others or seek to engage my faith in their lives. That happens when I have seen God in action; his saving power has reached out and touched me and I saw it. Then I speak, indeed I find it hard not to speak. "Did you see what God did? I was desperate and he acted, I was hopeless and he rescued me, I was lost and he found me, dying and he raised me to life." While trusting in God gives me the strength to answer him who taunts me, it is when I have seen God's steadfast love and salvation that I am actually motivated to speak.

But Father, I am blind indeed to your saving acts, which are all around me. You constantly deliver me and bless me and fill me and I do not see or pay no attention. Help me to attend to your never failing love, so that I may be filled with the gratitude you deserve and speak out of the fullness of my heart. May you be glorified in my speech today.

No comments: