All of this indicates that we are not likely to be able to say that we have done all that was needed to present the gospel when we speak to someone. But some things are foundational to faith, and need to be said to people who are seriously considering the significance of Christianity or their lives. These include the following:
- There is one God, the creator of the universe, who is different from us and cannot be fully comprehended by us.
- We are born alienated from God, and cannot enjoy His company, nor He ours while we are in this state.
- This alienation is called sin and is the cause of most of our present suffering, a suffering that will only be intensified after death unless it is remedied.
- For us to be reconciled to God requires the intervention of God Himself; we cannot do it on our own.
- Because He loves us, God tooke the initiative to send His Son into the world as Jesus Christ to die and be raised from the dead in order that we might be reconciled to Him.
- We need to believe that God has accomplishedin Jesus Christ the work we need for our reconciliation and accept it as a free gift in order for it to have value for us.
- Being reconciled to God involves a change of heart and lifestyle as we seek to live lives pleasing to Him rather than for our own purposes.
- Being reconciled to God also involves being baptized as a tangible sign of our participation in God's purposes and becoming unified with God's people in a local church.